About Dr. M. A. Owolabi
The Chief Medical Director
As Chief Medical Director of the world — class Mends Specialist Hospital & Aviation Medical Centre in Kaduna, he is passionate training military and civilians professionals and youths as a postgraduate Tutor on topics of Aviation Medicine, Human Factors, Internal Medicine and Hyperbaric Medicine.
As a leadership mentor and philanthropist, he enjoys imparting knowledge and resources to enrich and boost the Society as an aviator, author of many publications, Bible Teacher and political activist who has participated in politics out of a burning passion to help his Aisegba town (His late father, Pa Clement Ebun Owolabi (Pa CEO) was also the President ofAisegba Progressive Union in 1961).
In 1969, MAO obtained the best West African School Certificate Examination result – Grade 1 with Distinction at Oyemekun, He proceeded directly to University of Ibadan Pre-Medical School in 1970 and was later elected President of University of Ibadan Medical Students Association in the 1974 / 75 academic session.
After graduating as a Doctor in 1976 with his housemanship at University College Hospital, Ibadan, he served for his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) posting at the Nigerian Air Force Flying Training Group Kano and got married to his sweetheart and Angel, Edna Aina Owolabi at Kano in 1978. In October 1980 in London, Dr MAO obtained Nigerian ‘s first Postgraduate Diploma in Aviation Medicine from the Royal College of Physicians, London and the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
In a rare feat of military honour world-wide, Dr. MAO was commissioned into the Nigerian Air Force Service as Chief Flight Surgeon with an initial rank of Squadron Leader in December 1985 and served Nigeria concurrently as Pioneer Consultant and Chief Medical Assessor at Federal Civil Aviation Authority (FCAA) and the offshoot NCAA at Lagos from 1990 to 2000 while retiring voluntarily later from active Service in 1992.
For over 46 years as a medical doctor, he has held several positions including Chairman, Guild of Medical Directors, Kaduna State, Senior Aviation Medical Examiner for Civil Aviation Authorities of Canada, USA, UK, Ghana, Uganda, etc, and Chairman, Makanjuola & Edna Owolabi Charity Foundation, Chairman of Mends Training institute Kaduna and President, Aerospace Medical Association of Nigeria, among others.
3. Once, Dr. MAO was in the list of “1000 World Leaders of Scientific Influence Hall of fame for outstanding professional contributions and was included in the Honours List of 13 Professionals Who’s Who in African Aviation” (2004) while previously in August 1986, he was awarded Certificate of Merit for Distinguished Achievement in Dictionary of International Biography, Cambridge, England UK and in June 2008, he was one of only two Nigerians that were given the prestigious University of Ibadan’s Distinguished Alumnus Award to celebrate 60 years of university education in Nigeria as a nation and most especially for his pioneering efforts and achievements in the field of Military and Civil Aviation Medicine.
As part of Dr. & Mrs MAO’s passions for Aisegba’s progress and development, quite apart from their numerous philanthropic social empowerments of her indigenes, Dr. MAO had contested for Ekiti South Senatorial Primary Election and Ekiti Governorship Primary Election. Dr. MAO and his wife have also set up a model cottage Farm at Aisegba as role model to encourage the youths and Nigerian professionals in modern farming skills and methods while as well empowering the Aisegba youths, especially the women in several ways.
SOME ENDORSEMENTS / TESTIMONIALS:
1. “Sqn Ldr M.A. Owolabi served in the Nigerian Air Force from October 1980 to January 1993. He is a very fine officer and a gentleman by all standards. While in the Service he had a very good sense of duty and responsibility. He was totally dedicated to duty and tackled medical problems with absolute enthusiasm and professionalism. In fact, his voluntary retirement has left a vacuum in Aviation Medicine Department of the Medical Corps in the NAF (Nigerian Air Force Testimonial on leaving the Colours in Certificate of Service Serial No. 000200 dated 11 May 1993).
2. “Reposing special trust and confidence in the integrity, diligence and discretion of MAKANJUOLA AKINDELE OWOLABI, MD and finding that he has the necessary knowledge skill, experience, interest and impartial judgment to merit special public responsibility, I have designated him to act in accordance with the regulations and procedures prescribed by the Federal Aviation Administration relating to this designation (USA Federal Aviation Administration’s Testimonial in Certificate of Designation No 15726-8 dated August 30, 1982).
3. Please join me in congratulating Dr. Makanjuola Owolabi for doing exceptional justice to the topic for today, “Leadership with Character”. It is interesting to note that in selecting a Guest Lecturer for the topic, the University ofIbadan Alumni Association chose one oftheir own who is not only accomplished in multiple fields of endeavour but is an exceptional example of Leadership with Character” (Ghana’s former President, Jerry J. Rawlings Remarks as Guest of Honour at Ado Ekiti on MAO’s Birthday 08/08/2017 when he delivered University of Ibadan Alumni Association’s Annual Guest Lecture 2017)
4. “I am glad I visited this establishment. What has been most visible during the course of my tour is the determination to provide the best health care services by the Director, doctors and staff of the establishment. Nigeria and Nigerians must support this project. Most of what we go to overseas for, can be done here. CONGRATULATIONS.” (Comments in Visitors Book by President Ibrahim Babangida, GCFR (Hill Top, Minna) about Dr. MAO’s Mends Specialist Hospital & Aviation Medical Centre Kaduna on 1 0th March 2003)
5. “I have been here so many times and have always been impressed with the cleanliness and courtesy of the hospital and staff. I wish you success in this worthwhile humanitarian service.” (Comment in Visitors book by President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR about Dr. MAO’s Mends Specialist Hospital & Aviation Medical Centre Kaduna on 29-05-2004.
Dr. M. A. Owolabi
(MBBS, DAvMed, MRAeS, FRSM, MACOEM, FWACP, FAsMA)
Address: 5, Abba Kyari Close, Ungwan Rimi G.R.A., P.O.Box 3001, Kaduna, Nigeria
Copyright © 2020 Mends Specialist Hospital
All Rights Reserved